Dale and I both went to Greenville College. It's actually where we met. It's a great story. Sometime I will have to share it with you. But for now I am focusing on the school. Saturday I took Carsyn and Luke over for alumni/homecoming weekend (I graduated 15 years ago!). We visited with friends, watched football and baseball and roamed around campus. It was fun to be back. It always makes me feel like I should still be there. It is such a great place.
As we were leaving Luke told me that he would really like to go to Greenville. I had to burst his bubble. As much as I would like for Luke to go there I think it might not be a good choice for him- he has lofty goals. So I explained that it is not a division 1 school and if he really wants to play division 1 basketball he should go to Duke or Kentucky or even Ohio State (not sure I would pay for that one tho). I started to explain that Michael Jordan went to UNC and he interrupted and said, "Who is Michael Jordan?"
*gasp*
Have I failed my basketball loving child?
I backed up a few decades and explained to him that MJ is the greatest basketball player in the history of the game. Then he decided that if UNC can produce MJ then that's where he wants to be.
After that discussion I ended up explaining how college works. It's funny, I always tell the kids they are going to go to college but I never thought that they would have no idea what that means. I now realized that they thought I would ship them off to another place to fend for themselves- no money, food or home. So we talked about the dorm, classes, homework, how to get your food, where you get extra money in case you want more than what the cafeteria has to offer- all the essentials. It was a 40 minute convo. I think the understand it better. Once they arrive on campus I am sure they will forget what I told them and do what they want.
Science
8 years ago





0 comments:
Post a Comment