Wednesday, October 19, 2011

battles

It's a crisp October morning.  We accidentally slept in a bit because the fall brings the sun later and later in the mornings.  I was so cozy in my bed and didn't want to get out.  I kind-of wished I would have stayed there.

The kids got to dress down for school today.  The Cardinals are going to be battling it out with the Texas Rangers for the World Series title starting today.  Our school likes to celebrate- so it's Cardinal red day.  In anticipation for this day my kids set our their clothes last night- to ensure everything was clean and in order.  Reagan wanted to wear all red- she likes to be different.  So she laid out her new red leggings, a long sleeve red running shirt, and her jersey.  This morning Dale was home so he woke her at 7:00 (first sign of a bad morning- waking a sleeping baby).  After actually "waking" up, 15 minutes later, I asked her to go get dressed.  She comes down in her get up and here is how it went...

Mom:  WOW Reagan.  You look awesome.  Did you notice I set out a jean skirt for you to wear over your leggings?  You need to put that on because leggings are not pants- they go under a skirt.

Reagan: This shirt covers my bottom.  I want to wear this.  (2nd sign this is going to go badly)

Mom:  That's nice but leggings are not pants.  You have to wear a skirt if you want to wear those leggings.  Ask your dad what he thinks (3rd sign it might go south)...

So I gave Dale the evil eye and he graciously explained that you cannot wear leggings as pants and that she should change.  She was NOT at all happy about the interchange.  She proceeded to fuss (nice way of saying throw a fit) so I tried to intervene and suggest she wear some cozy athletic pants.  I ran up the stairs ahead of her to get them out.  As I turn the corner I hear her throw herself down on the stairs and start whining and half cry/scream.  I appear with the pants, not looking at her, I explain the fine qualities of said pants.  I look up and she is giving me the evil eye- I know how this is going to go.  So, I toss the pants at her, tell her to change, and head down the stairs without making eye-contact.  15 minutes later she emerges stomping and grunting in an entirely different outfit and claims she IS NOT wearing red today (edited version)...

OH MY.  This child has been the center of my prayer life lately.  I have always known she is strong willed.  I have mostly been good about intervening when she has "moments."  But these last few weeks I feel like we are in the throws of one long battle.  Nothing is accepted.  Every little thing she challenges.  I am weary and confused.  I love that she wants to be her own person, that she wants to know why,  that if she is in disagreement she is confident enough to push to find purpose.  Those are great qualities that will take her far in life.  Will we make it that far?!

I have to remind myself that Reagan is only 6.  She lacks the maturity to figure out the appropriate process to "fight".  So here I am, in the midst of raising/battling a confident, strong willed creature whom I love with everything I have.   Lord, have mercy on me.

She ended up changing again.  Cozy pants, white t shirt, Cards jersey, plastered smile.  I did get a hug and kiss before she hopped in the car.

post signature

2 comments:

Andi said...

Have you read any of those Ames books? The title for the 6 year old one (which I am reading right now...) is: You 6 Year Old: Loving & Defiant.

Sounds about right in our house!

Libbs said...

Does that remind you of a sweet little girl you had at HHCA? She is thriving at Clemson grad school, so there is hope, but stay on your knees!