I know that my life is great. I have a wonderful husband, 3 amazing, full-of-life children, and I am in the "career" I always desired. BUT, everyday I wish something were different about me. I am far from perfect and daily wish I were more like:
Melanie because she is easy going.
Lisa because she puts an emphasis on being fit.
Christan because she is devoted to Christ with every ounce of her being.
MC because she could care less about "stuff".
Dale because he has a rare work ethic.
Jodie- because she is artistic.
Julie and Emily because they handle motherhood flawlessly and always look amazing.
and
Jennifer Aniston because she is beautiful. :)
Seriously. I am often not happy with many things about myself: my laziness, my love of sarcasm, my skin, my occasional harsh attitude (insert laugh), my hair color, my impatience. The list could go on....
Last night as Carsyn and I were doing her "devos" it centered on the topic of self-worth: Keli was upset cause a boy was teasing her about her school project and making her feel bad. He mother encouraged her to be confident knowing she did a wonderful job. The next day Keli was complaining about her knobby knees and freckles. Her mom said, "It hurts when someone criticizes something you made. The Bible tells us we are made by God- we are made for his good pleasure. We should thank God rather than criticize him." (Psalm 139:14).
It struck me that rather than complain about who I am or what I look like I should thank God for creating me the way that he did. That's not so say that I can get away with being apathetic about self improvement. I was just reminded that the basic me is just who God wants me to be.
Science
8 years ago
4 comments:
Amy - you're not alone in your boat of wanting to be different. My list is long, too. Thanks for sharing the reminder that God made us and He knows best.
Ok girlie! I want to be YOU because you can look like YOU without all the "emphasis on being fit!" I totally get what you are saying. I frequently blame my skin on the fall! I just think God made us to all enjoy different things. Maybe I wish I enjoyed reading more than running, but I don't! This is a great post. Very thought provoking. We all have this list either in our heads or in our GT books! It makes me look forward to heaven even more. We will be complete and enjoy worshipping our God...which is one thing we ALL have in common!
I tend to think we are all aching to be more Christ-like, but that gets all mistranslated and warped into wanting to be like other people. I think I'll struggle with wanting to change myself or my circumstances for the rest of my life, because we were designed for something different, ya know? Something that can't totally be found on this side of heaven. Love your post and your honesty!!! See you tonight....
I love the scene in the Voyage of the Dawn Treader when Lucy realizes she has dreamed herself away when she has dreamed so much of being like Susan. If God does indeed have a Great Story, and He is writing our own to serve as scenes in that Story... then we can all take great comfort in knowing EVERYTHING about us was intentionally created by our Maker when we were formed in our mother's wombs. Everything. For a purpose much greater than ourselves.
Kharis has been a tremendous instrument of healing for me in this area. And she has no idea. Her face is JD's side of the family. Everything else about her is like me.
Yes, Amy, thank you for your honesty. It seems we - your readers - are all learning the same lesson. Thanks for bringing it into the light.
Post a Comment