Saturday, March 26, 2011

bring on The South (in the snow)

It's no secret that I have a strong desire to live in the Southern region of the United States. Dale and I spent the first 4 years of our marriage on the coast in South Carolina. We loved it there: the weather, the slow-paced life, the food. It was beautiful.

One of our favorite Southern traditions we learned while there is the Low Country Boil. Basically you boil up some water in a really large pot (like a turkey fryer), add "an old shoe" for seasoning, throw in new potatoes, corn on the cob, sausage, crab legs and shrimp and cook it up for a bit. When it is ready you dump it out on a table and dig in. Mmmmm... Soooooo goooooood.

Today Dale and I were introduced to a different kind of boil... Our favorite St. Louis Southern friends hosted a Crawfish Boil (at our house). Michael brought over the biggest pot we have ever seen and 30 lbs of crawfish, plus all the fixins/seasonings! Initially I thought: "30 lbs of crawfish! WOW, that's a lot of seafood!" Plus we had sausage, potatoes, corn and shrimp!

Umm, yeah, We ate all of it! It was soooo good.


This is not how we envisioned the day going:
Our crawfish wanted to experience sunshine not snow!

Here's what 30 lbs of crawfish look like:
Our wonderful cook and his secret recipe...
The pot was so big we needed a board to stir it...
Check it out...
Michael is giving Dale a crawfish lesson...
The kiddie table (minus a few little ones who were eating in the dining room)...
Carsyn really enjoyed it!
Dale is in heaven...

When we finished our table looked like this...
It was the best meal I have had in a long time (despite the 4" of snow- in late March). THANK YOU Michael and Melanie!

post signature

1 comments:

Melanie said...

It was so fun and SO yummy...could not have done it without your perfect setup. Who knew a heated garage was so essential to a crawfish boil?!! I think it was definitely the first of many...thanks for hosting!