Saturday night Dale and I went with our friends, Craig and Sarah, to the roller derby. Can you believe that St. Louis has it's own roller derby league?! They are called the St. Louis Gatekeepers and their bouts are in Ballwin at Queeny Park.
It started out bit fishy because we had to go in the back "door". If you can call it a door- it was actually a large garage style door near the rear of the building. It was a bit ominous. After everyone was in they sealed it shut. Seemed a bit "Hunger Games-ish" to me. I wasn't sure if we would all come out alive but we were already in and there was beer so no need to worry. Right?!
The first bout was womens. The Granny Panties vs. Team Leotard. It was quite a show. The Granny Panties actually wore granny panties and some of the Team Leotards wore thongs over their hose (hose or tights? not sure) and truly you saw their cheeks! Some of our favorite roller derby names were: Chewblocka, Holland Oats, Artemischief, and Boom Boom Pow.
The bout started and it took us awhile to catch on. There's a jammer, a pivot and 3 blockers per team. The goal is for the jammer to score points by legally lapping the opposing team members. The 1 hour bout is broken up into 2 minute jams (and a half time). The lead jammer controls the jam. There are many rules and lots of illegal moves that I never caught on to. It is a bit complex in it's simplicity! You should read up in it.
The 2nd bout was a championship turf war. You heard that right. Beachys went to a turf war. South Grand Slammers vs. Dogtown Rockets. Our favorite mens names were: Gnat King Kill, Neil Death Experience, Double Excel (he was HUGE), and my personal fav... Magnum P.I.M.P. :) We chose to root for the underdogs- the Slammers. The mens bout was WAY more exciting. We were one bout in and felt like seasoned vets. So we understood everything. :) It was fun! Oh, and our team won!
The four of us decided that everyone should have a roller derby name. I am not creative so it may take me years but Dale has already come up with his: Son-of-a-Beach.
If you have never been to the roller derby you should go. Check it out here.
Science
8 years ago
3 comments:
You Beachys are so unpredictable. I love that you did this. If dance doesn't work out for Emma I might enroll her in roller derby lessons...she loves her roller blades! I will be working on your name.
Ahhh!! I'm so jealous, I've wanted to go to a roller derby for awhile now!! I'm totally gonna do it. By the way, do spectators dress up for this thing?
Thanks for coming to see us play. Glad you enjoyed it. Don't forget to check out our sister league, the Arch Rival Roller Girls. Their season starts in November.
- Specs Offender #20/20
Post a Comment