The big "thing" in third grade this year is Harry Potter. There is a large group of kids in Carsyn's class who have read some (if not all 7) of the books. One day in September Carsyn said that she would really like to read The Sorcerer's Stone (for those of you who aren't "Pott heads"- it is book 1).
I was reluctant but told her that I would read it to see if she could handle it. Thus began my month long trek into the Potter world. In 4 weeks I flew thru all 7 (I really enjoyed all of them.)
Carsyn is very sensitive though and I wasn't sure how she would do (she gets that from me). I told her a bit about the book- including the scary parts. We talked about it being a fiction book and that every part of it was made up. She decided to think it through before giving her answer.
After a few days she let me know that she really wanted to read it on her own. Thus began her month long trek through book 1. She had a lot of great questions as she read through it. The last 2 chapters I read aloud to her as we snuggled together in the big chair.
She did not enjoy it enough to delve into the second book right away but she did like it. A small victory of you know Carsyn at all! I am proud of her for reading it on her own!
The day we finished I gave her a treat: a chocolate frog...

Science
8 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment