Monday, December 27, 2010

warning: young children should not read this!

Sunday after church we went with Grandpa and Grandma to the Country Club for lunch. We were eating and having a great time. The waitress came over and had a mini conversation with our sweet Reagan-girl:

Waitress: Did Santa bring you lots of presents?
Reagan (using an extremely serious/matter-of-fact voice): Santa is dead.
Waitress: (confused) What?!
Reagan (again, very serious): Santa is not real. There is no magical person who leaves presents. My mom said so.


I think she went on and on but I was laughing so hard I couldn't hear her!

Note: I realize it was way funnier to those who attended lunch. I merely posted so I would remember this in 25 years....





post signature

1 comments:

Melanie said...

When Lucy was 3, she confronted me about the ridiculous nature of the whole Santa story. Rather than lie through my teeth a million times to keep the gig going, I told her she was right and how it all *really* works. "BUT," I told her, "you cannot tell other children. Some of them believe in Santa and that's ok." Ha.

Next day, on the playground at preschool, from the highest point on the play structure, Lucy was heard by all as she screamed, "SANTA CLAUS IS DEAD!" I got lots of calls from distressed mamas that night....

Not, "he's not real." Not, "Santa is your daddy." No, "Santa Claus is DEAD." It's much funnier to me now, than when I had southern mamas and their quite unhappy preschoolers glaring me down all over town...